GUC has traditionally followed the The Revised Common Lectionary (RCL). The long established liturgical rhythms are followed by churches all over the world and give us a pattern by which we shape our worshipping year.
Each week the RCL offers us a Psalm, a reading from the Hebrew Scriptures, A Gospel reading and an Epistle reading.
Many find the practice of following the RCL helpful as it offers a place to begin and takes the “me” out of the equation and asks to focus on a particular reading.
Instead of focussing on whatever issue has grabbed our attention for the week the RCL inspires us to explore the scripture and gives us something to work with.
While you’re not required to follow the RCL we would ask that you discuss themes or topics with the worship team if you do choose to follow your own theme.
You can download a pdf of this year’s RCL Calendar below:
- YearC – 2021-2022 Lectionary Calendar (pdf)
- Year B – 2020/2021 Lectionary Calendar (pdf)
- Year A – 2019/2020 Lectionary Calendar (pdf)
- Year C – 2018/2019 Lectionary Calendar (pdf)
- Year B – 2017/2018 Lectionary Calendar (pdf)
- You can also access the RCL readings online on the Vanderbilt site, it’s really helpful if you need to print them out or put them in a presentation : Vanderbilt Divinity Library Revised Common Lectionary.
- If you would like the bible readings in any other translation you can use the Bible Gateway website, which also includes the ability to access the readings in a number of languages and translations. At GUC we prefer using the CEV, but you might like to intentionally read the Psalms from the Message version, or use a different translation for a different
- There is a wealth of lectionary-based material and sources available online, including several listed on the leaflet. These days I also increasingly turn to great lectionary podcasts. Many will also be familiar with With Love to the World, a helpful lectionary-based devotional publication I regularly use and sometimes contribute to, which now has a convenient app available for Apple or Android devices